Monday, May 27, 2013

Expo Posters Part II

Onward to the next set of posters done for the Expo. This batch I think are my top favorites. My exploration with colour deepens, and my designs get better. These three images all have their own stories, so let us not waste any more time!



First up we have the Carrion Runner. This odd bird like creature is a scavenger in the desert. It runs at high speeds from it's predators, and can make some very strange mating calls. I had fun making him, and even more fun playing with colours. The background is a blurred stock photo, so I know backgrounds will be the next on my list of things to work on.


This is the Bondage Bunny. Long ago, I played an online game called Gaia Online. I was one of the first thousand members. Now the game has millions of users, and I no longer play it. This character is a tribute to the avatar I had on that game. The armband colours are also a tribute to a character from an anime called Dragon Ball Z. A great friend and I once were fans of that character, and he had armbands and leg bands of the same colour. This image is sort of my own "Jessica Rabbit", though the two are still very different.


This is the Angel. Carrying on with the BDSM (bondage/dominance, sadism/masochism) theme, I was inspired to paint this image while watching Jennifer Lopez in The Cell, by far one of my top favorite movies. Again I tried to paint without lines, and it turned out really well. Just like the Mona Lisa, this cheeky girl doesn't have eyebrows. To be honest, I couldn't settle on how I wanted them to be expressed, so I omitted them entirely!

I can easily see the jump in progression from the Expo Posters in Part I to Part II. My style is better refined, the colours are better, and the overall images look great. I was very impressed with the progression I had made from just drawing outlines and pencil sketches the year before, to omitting outlines and drawing with colour only!

Next up we have the return of a great character, by far my ultimate favorite character.

No comments: