Monday, May 27, 2013

Insomniac

My first client of the year was a great friend, Matthew Coffey. He had requested of me a cover for his first album, Insomniac. He had a particular idea in mind, and we worked together over several days to flesh out what he wanted. In the end, this is what we came up with!


It was a lot of fun working on this project, as Matt gave me a lot of room to play around. The initial sketches looked quite different from the final product!

Please take a moment to give a listen to the incredible creativity and talent in Matt's first album Insomniac




First step: Initial sketch. We had the idea of the Man picking a piece of his exploding head, but Matt felt it would be better to have him not acknowledge his head at all. We changed it a little more, as he wanted the Man to look more Alien...



 After moving the hand, and having the idea of the heads' glow illuminating the title behind him, we started to make him look less human. I was pulling out all the stops I could, adding ideas of glow, fins, spikes, tentacles, and even wires! Matt loved it all, so it was a go ahead...


 Establishing a rough outline now, Matt decides he wants the hand to hold a glowing sigil. I start working on my anatomy, and get the basic forms figured out...



Once I move around some of his features so that they are in proper scale, I get on the colouring. I have a palette on the side of  my workspace for easy reference...



Starting to get the reflected sources of light bouncing off his skin, and adding lots of glow. Figuring out what the background will look like...



Almost done the Aliens' body, and getting the template down for the background. Decided upon a skyline of sorts. Matthew worked on the text graphic while I finished the main colouring, adding even more glow, some sub surface light scattering on the skin in front of light...



After all is said and done, this is what we came up with! The process of concept sketch to final product was not a terribly big difference, but it was very fun!

Please feel free to visit Matt's website for his album Insomniac!

No comments: